Preventative dentistry is about taking good care of your teeth and oral hygiene. By taking care of your teeth, you prevent excessive plaque buildup, bacterial infection, cavities, bad breath and even the overall health of your body.
Good oral health helps prevent gum disease
Poor oral hygiene is a major contributor to bacterial infections, decay and gum disease. Also known as periodontal disease, gum disease is classified in two stages:
- Gingivitis – symptoms are bleeding gums, soreness, swelling and redness
- Periodontitis – symptoms are bad breath, receding gums, wobbly teeth and even tooth loss
If you start to experience symptoms of gingivitis, you can usually remedy your problem by good oral hygiene. However, if you allow your condition to worsen, your gum disease will lead to periodontitis which will then require treatments by a dentist.
Some individuals are more prone to gum disease than others, due to external factors such as genetics, health conditions or lifestyle factors.
If you are prone to gum disease, you may need to be extra vigilant, and your dentist may recommend more frequent checkups.
Either way, maintaining good oral health gives everyone the best possible chance of preventing other problems down the track.
Our preventative dental care program
At Mills Road Dental, we offer preventative dental care appointments which cover the following:
- Educational information – regarding at-home oral care – with twice daily brushing and flossing
- Regular oral examination – (typically) biannual checks at the clinic
- Professional in-chair cleaning (scale & clean) – removing plaque and stains that cannot be removed by brushing alone
- Diagnostic examination – to identify small issues early, before they develop into more major (and costly) concerns
- Oral cancer screening – inspecting all soft tissue such as your tongue, lips and cheeks for early detection of tissue changes or cancer
- Preventative care and education for senior citizens – including denture care and recommended cleaning protocols
- Custom mouthguard fittings – for teens and adults playing contact sports
- Oral hygiene education – promoting proper dietary nutrition for healthy teeth and gum
Book your Scale & Clean today!
Remember, prevention is better than cure. And if you have health insurance, your treatment may even be free!